Tuesday, December 13, 2011

素描一張



study of shades
 
Before adding shades

I have always been mesmerized by shades and shadows, the contrast between darker and lighter areas.  When I see good black and white photographs, especially portraits, there's a natural urge to do quick sketches, to try and capture those shades that create depth, perception, and various moods. 

This is a rather cursory sketch of a profile image of a man (an actor, actually).  This sketch was not planned.  I had collected a number of WoW pictures and was getting ready to do a fine drawing of Illidan, but then I came upon this picture and it took priority over all other plans. 

And I was sorting all my drawing tools the other night, checking on inventory and deciding whether I still need to stock up on anything (yeah, like I really need more pencils)...and here is what I found ...



I suppose I should make one thing clear: I DO NOT COLLECT COLOR PENCILS, unlike many who do.  I simply "need" all of them to complete my future projects.  (yeah, I'm not in the least bit convinced about that).

No comments:

Post a Comment